The Children’s Department maintains a Parent/Teacher Collection which contains a variety of materials for home and classroom use.
- Advice from experts for each stage of your child’s growth: eating and sleeping, discipline, potty training, new baby, preparing for school, homework and ideas for learning together
- Help in planning fun and educational activities, choosing books and planning events with children in mind
- Dealing with events that trigger big questions: death, illness, adoption, sex, bullying, stress, prejudice
- Help for parents of children with special needs: ADHD, autism, learning disabilities
- Homeschooling resources
- Lots of ideas for enhancing the preschool experience
- Ideas for incorporating science, art, and music, into your classroom
- Curriculum ideas
What can the Children’s Staff do for you?
- Let us know if your class is doing a special assignment and we can put aside books for students to use
- Tours of the library to meet the needs of your class
- A visit to your classroom, based on your needs
- Kid Packs - books based on your criteria, selected for you by staff
- Special assignment collection, for checkout or in-house use
Online Resources for Parents and Teachers
The Children's Partnership Online Resources for Parents
A listing of non-commercial resources and sites for parents.
From Disney, this site includes activities, education, food, health, travel, and more.
Great Web Sites for Kids
The American Library Association's page that has links to over 700 sites for children, teachers, parents, and caregivers.
Parenting news topics include health, family, baby, and pregnancy.
From the medical experts of The Nemours Foundation, the parenting section includes articles relating to children's growth, diet, emotions, behavior, etc.
Guides for parents in all things kid from development to going to school to birthday parties.
From the Children's Literature Web Guide, the most comprehensive guide to English-language children's book awards on the Internet.
Their database of 115,000+ sites has links to curriculum ideas, lesson plans, employment listings, site reviews and more.
Provides PreK-12 educators to access to free digital content and professional development opportunities designed to improve teacher effectiveness and student achievement.
Teacher chatrooms, catalogs, lesson plans, etc.