Woodridge Public Library has a variety of books, CDs, and DVDs to assist Woodridge residents with their English as a Second Language studies and with basic literacy skills development.
Feel free to browse and print our ESL Resources handout. [PDF]
The following organizations provide further information, classes and/or tutors for learning English as a Second Language and for basic literacy skills (these programs are not sponsored by the Library, but many of them use the Library's facilities and materials):
The College of DuPage's ESL Programs
- ESL Literacy/Community Language Skills - for adults who would like to understand, speak, read and write English for everyday use.
- ESL Family Literacy - for parents wanting to develop English language and reading skills to help their children succeed at school.
- ESL Academic/Professional Program - for individuals who wish to prepare for study at U.S. colleges and for professional employment in the U.S.
Call 630-942-3697 for more information about the programs listed above.
- Provides free one-on-one tutoring at a time and place convenient to the student and the tutor.
Community Resource Center: Woodridge
- Free English as a Second Language classes meet twice a week for eighteen weeks
- Mondays and Wednesdays 7p.m. – 9p.m. or Tuesdays and Thursdays 9a.m. – 11a.m.
School on Wheels, Congregation of St. Joseph of LaGrange
- Free ESL one-on-one tutoring once a week for one hour
- Tutors also help students prepare for GED and citizenship tests
- Woodridge location is the Neighborhood Resource Center Parking Lot
- Drop-Ins welcome Mondays 9a.m. – 6p.m.
West Suburban Community Pantry
- Free ESL classes held Monday and Wednesday mornings, 8:30a.m. – 11:30a.m. at the Woodridge Park District Community Center, 2600 Center Drive. Advanced registration is required.
- Summer classes held at various locations in the community.
- Complimentary breakfast, free textbooks, and childcare (age limit 10 & under) provided by the Pantry.
Libraries' English and Reading Network (L.E.A.R.N.)
L.E.A.R.N. is a network of Chicago-area library and non-profit organizations that provide materials and services to adults learning English. Includes a list of local ESL organizations and links to many ESL websites.
Illinois Adult Learning Hotline (1-800-321-9511) - trained bilingual (English and Spanish) operators provide local program referrals.
World Relief Refugee Services, DuPage Office (630-462-7566) - located in Wheaton.